The goal of the Kalakaua Counseling Program is to enhance student learning through three interrelated areas of student development as prescribed by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) and the Hawaii Content Standards:
- ASCA: Academic Development, Personal & Social Development and Career Development
- Hawaii Content Standards: Career & Life Skills
KMS Counselors also focus on making guidance and counseling supports and services available to the entire student population.
- Guidance focuses on prevention and can help students learn to make positive decisions about a variety of issues including completing homework, and awareness of dangers regarding drugs and alcohol.
- Counseling focuses on intervening in specific areas of concern including, but not limited to, study skills, social skills, anger management, grief-loss, self-esteem, and low motivation.
Basic Counseling Services (available to ALL students) include:
- Individual counseling
- Group Counseling
- Mediation (between students, students & faculty, etc.)
- Academic advising
- Planner checks & grade checks
- Mid-quarter progress reports
- Test coordination (state assessment, school-level academic, and behavior assessments)