The Book of the Month takes reading beyond the confines of English language arts classes and elevates it to school-wide status. It sends a strong message to students about the importance of reading. It draws students, teachers, administrators, and parents into a shared educational enterprise that helps build a strong sense of community within America’s Choice middle schools.
- A character-based theme that becomes a school and community-wide shared value (focus) for the month
- Students, teachers, administrators, and parents have a common frame of reference for discussion
- Identify and use of common vocabulary
- Expose students to great writing
- Book of the Month read-alouds strengthen students’ vocabularies, reading comprehension, and listening skills
- Students hear fluent reading
Click on the link to see examples of how the character themes are reinforced in your child's AA classrooms.